Thursday, July 28, 2011

MamaBlogger365 - Sluts, Walks, and Fangs by *Dr Mama* Amber Kinser

To my great surprise, there was a SlutWalk in my rather conservative city last Saturday. Our local news station called me for an interview for a story they were doing on the event; they were looking for the voice of an “expert” of some kind, and given my credentials in the study of gender and communication, they thought I’d be a good bet. I don’t know if I was or not, but I agreed to the interview. Aside from the fact that I said a bunch of stuff that I thought was pretty cool but that they reduced to one fairly bland sentence (isn’t that always the way?), I was under-whelmed with the story, and am beginning to feel ambivalent about the movement.

Ever since the first official “SlutWalk” in Toronto earlier this year, we’ve seen a spate of similar marches across the U.S. and Canada, and the movement has spread even to places like India and South Africa, and well beyond. It’s a real social phenomenon that has spread like wildfire in an incredibly short span of time. I’d have never guessed, when my friends from the MotheringInitiative.org attended in Toronto and posted pics on their FB pages, that within a few months my normally foot-dragging town would be responding in kind.

Click here to read more.

Support MamaBlogger365 and help the Museum of Motherhood secure a permanent home in 2011! Your tax-deductible donation in ANY amount will help us make our September POP-UP exhibit in NYC a permanent reality - visit our Members page to learn more.

Photo courtesy jdurham

No comments:

Post a Comment