Monday, December 5, 2011

MamaBlogger365 - You Want to Do a What?! by Shira Adler, Diva Mama

It’s way worse than a four-letter word for most mothers, and as I sit and type this blog, my beautiful, talented and slightly more than overweight almost eleven-year-old daughter has decided she wants to enter one.

Yes, I’m talking about BEAUTY pageants. The kind that conjure up JonBenét Ramsey and the wonderful film Little Miss Sunshine. Featuring a special ilk of glitz-obsessed middle Americans this is a culture that is foreign to many of us, yet for some, including my suddenly-obsessed eldest, it fuels a passion that is almost cult-like in its fervor.

My daughter has recently become consumed with pageants, watching episode after episode of "Toddlers and Tiaras" on Netflix. How she even came to find this series, I have no idea, but God help me, it’s been the topic du jour for close to a week now.

The problem is, I don’t think she is going to take “no” for an answer and worse, I am not sure I should prohibit her. What kind of life lesson would this experience give her? How overprotective should I be? Where do I draw the line, disconnect Netflix and write a nasty blog slamming this incredible service for being — well — incredible, or do I just slip effortlessly into can-do mode and see how we can enter a pageant?

Okay… so if you haven’t figured it out, I have a confession to make...

Click here to read more.

Bio: By day Shira Adler is a cantor, spiritual vocalist, certified pastlife regressionist, voice-over artist, producer, performer, writer/blogger and mompreneur and by night... well, she is actually the same person at night though she does admit to wearing fuzzy socks when no one can see her and hiding a secret stash of Mallomars somewhere near her writing desk for those late night pick-me-ups. In, around, and between her various work activities, she is raising two beyond-the-spectrum children as a single mom (though lovingly gives a shout out to her best friend, editor and soulmate whom she considers the bees knees). Is it any wonder her website’s tag line is One Voice Many Paths? Seriously, look up the definition of a multi-tasking Mama and you will find her picture there. But when it comes to living a life of connection, faith and consciousness Shira is the gal to call -- or if you’re fresh out of Mallomars -- she’s always happy to give you one. For more information visit: ShiraAdler.com, read her blog at Diva-Mama.com; Social: Twitter (1DivaMama), Facebook (DivaMama1), Tumblr (not really sure, but the name is cute) and LinkedIn (because doesn’t everyone?).

Support MamaBlogger365 and help the Museum of Motherhood secure a permanent home in 2011! Your tax-deductible donation in ANY amount will help us make our POP-UP exhibit in NYC a permanent reality - visit our Members page to learn more.



Visit the Museum of Motherhood
NOW OPEN in NYC - Tues.-Sun., 10:45-6:30

No comments:

Post a Comment