Thursday, January 19, 2012

MamaBlogger365 - You're Not the Boss of Us by *Dr Mama* Amber Kinser

If we had a nickel, collectively, every time someone told a mother what to do, we’d have enough money to really change things. Because there simply is no shortage of such people, no absence of such advice or admonishment, no end in sight to the ways that others get all up in our business.

Take for example something as seemingly simple as that totally unhelpful charge to “enjoy every minute” because it “goes by so fast” that Glennon Melton wrote about in her blog at the Huffington Post this week*. Of course “every minute” is far from simple in motherhood, and enjoying each and every one of those is even farther. So now I can feel inadequate not only about how I mother but also about how my day is full of moments I am not enjoying, Melton suggests. Nice. That’s helpful. Thanks. You know what, I’m going to invoke a retort I’ve heard my kids and lots of other ones deploy in one form or another over the years: Quit bossing me around!

And then there’s the family dinner example....  click here to read more!


The Museum Of Motherhood is the first and only facility of its kind, celebrating the “her”story of mothers around the world. We need your help -- please make your tax-deductible contribution today! Visit the Museum of Motherhood, NOW OPEN in NYC - Tues.-Sun., 10:45-6:30

Photo credit: alvimann|MorgueFile

No comments:

Post a Comment