Thursday, March 1, 2012

MamaBlogger365 - Curses by *Dr Mama* Amber Kinser

I had a friend ask me recently about cursing. Specifically, she asked about talking with very young children about the use of curse words.* I suggested to her that I may not be a good person to offer advice on that topic, caring as little as I do about swearing. I imagine, though, that my track record rather suggests the contrary; a casual observer might conclude that I care enormously about it, based on the evidence I provide on any given day.

My mother, as I’ve written before, exasperated with me many years ago (I don’t mean to suggest she’s not been exasperated with me since; she certainly has) for flinging one profane term or another into the conversation, said something to the effect of “Amber! Honestly! I would think that anyone with as much education as you’ve got could come up with some other word to say!” My response was that one of the things I learned with all that education is that there are some situations in which only certain words will do. I can’t help if my life is full of those situations. Profanity is situational; what can I say. And rhetorical....

Click here to read more!

BIO: Dr. Mama (Amber Kinser) is a writer, feminist mother, professor, and speaker who lives in Tennessee. Check her out on Facebook, follow her on Twitter @DrMamaWit, and see her webpage. Kinser writes for the MamaBlogger365 series each Thursday at the Museum Of Motherhood, Mamapalooza and Mamazina Magazine.


The Museum Of Motherhood is the first and only facility of its kind, celebrating the “her”story of mothers around the world. We need your help -- please make your tax-deductible contribution today!Visit the Museum of Motherhood, NOW OPEN in NYC - Tues.-Sun., 10:45-6:30.


Photo Source: jppi | MorgueFile

No comments:

Post a Comment