Saturday, March 10, 2012

MamaBlogger365 - The Journey, an excerpt - part 7 by Jax Resto

When mom-rocker Jax Resto last checked in... local celebrity guitarist Jeri Jay was en route to meet Jax, Raven and Sam... (Need to catch up from the beginning? Click here for an archive of posts that chronicle The Journey by Jax Resto.)

Our first rehearsal: There were moments when I wasn't sure this day would come...

Half an hour in, we are minus an integral member—the guitarist. Jeri Jay is on his way. I'm still not sure how I feel about letting a guy into our girl band, even one who dresses like a girl. But I am eager to move forward. I've spent so much time these past few weeks putting together a band, I've barely had time to just play music.

Despite the Speedy Gonzalez cartoon short that ran through my mind after Jeri told me he would be right over, realistically I know it will probably be another half hour before he arrives.

I walk into the spare room of our house, which we refer to as the “drum room.” Now equipped with full PA, and speakers, thanks to Samm, it has suddenly evolved into a rehearsal studio.

I look over at Samm, who stands in the left corner of the room, hip cocked, holding her bass, looking like a superhero. I feel compelled to give her a superhero name. Beautimus.

“Wanna try running through some songs before Jeri gets here?” the golden superhero asks.

I grin at her eagerness. At the name I've mentally given her. My silliness. Something.

Raven plants herself in front of the microphone in the center of the room, and looks at Beautimus, “Do you know 'Alone?'"

Beautimus responds with an unsuperhero-like blank expression.

Apparently our desperate search for female players ultimately overshadowed our initial plan to hold more formal auditions where the players came prepared. It turns out that, though we each know many songs, there aren't many we all know.

Click here to read more!

Bio: Jax Resto is a wife, mom and business owner by day, mom rocker by night. In 2010 she performed with Band of the Year at the Mamapalooza Festival in NYC. She left the band shortly after to start her own band of rockin' moms Female Band Invasion. But her mom rock band took an interesting turn. Visit www.reverbnation.com/femalebandinvasion.

The Museum Of Motherhood is the first and only facility of its kind, celebrating the “her”story of mothers around the world. We need your help -- please make your tax-deductible contribution today! Visit the Museum of Motherhood NOW OPEN in NYC - Tues.-Sun., 10:45-6:30.

No comments:

Post a Comment