Monday, August 15, 2011

MamaBlogger365 - Life, Love and What Happens Next... In Honor of Calvin Goodman by Shira Adler, Diva Mama

His is not a name many of you know, but Calvin Goodman is a beautiful, courageous and accomplished man. In my life, in my family, he’s more famous than Sinatra, more brilliant than Einstein and much cuter than Bieber. At least for now, Calvin Goodman is my Grandfather, still. And even though he’s going to die probably tonight, or tomorrow or maybe the next day, he’s still here on Earth with me and my mothers and my sisters and brothers, and honestly I’m trying to cherish every moment. He’s still with us, even if we are counting down the minutes until he crosses over; even if he’s not awake; even if he’s lying in the middle of his home, mostly unaware of what’s going on around him.

Making a last-minute dash across the country to be with my Grandpa has been tough. In so many ways I feel like it’s my father lying in the middle of the living room, in a hospital bed that belongs somewhere else, not here. This man taught me about unwavering strength and love, about what it’s like to know almost everything and how to be the smartest guy in the room. By his example he also taught me that some men are beautiful and some family members can be trusted. As I sit here with my family in the City of Angels I’m in awe, because in this coming together of like-named souls, who have gathered to sit quietly, and pray, and sing for our beloved Grandpa – father – Calvin, I am reminded of how beautiful the Universe really is. Yes, Calvin Goodman is still a great man because he brought our family together and in doing so reminds me that we can be our best, that we can show up and be loving and supportive and you know what — every once in a while that’s a good thing to remember.

His is a name you now know. Calvin Goodman. My Grandfather. I love you, Grandpa. Until the very end you are still teaching me how to show up in this world. And you’ll still be teaching all of us long after you leave. Even when you’re not here in physical form, you will always be my beloved Grandpa, my mentor, my friend and a wonderful teacher. I love you.

BIO: By day Shira Adler is a cantor, spiritual vocalist, certified pastlife regressionist, voice-over artist, producer, performer, writer/blogger and mompreneur and by night... well, she is actually the same person at night though she does admit to wearing fuzzy socks when no one can see her and hiding a secret stash of Mallomars somewhere near her writing desk for those late night pick-me-ups. In, around, and between her various work activities, she is raising two beyond-the-spectrum children as a single mom (though lovingly gives a shout out to her best friend, editor and soulmate whom she considers the bees knees). Is it any wonder her website’s tag line is One Voice Many Paths? Seriously, look up the definition of a multi-tasking Mama and you will find her picture there. But when it comes to living a life of connection, faith and consciousness Shira is the gal to call -- or if you’re fresh out of Mallomars -- she’s always happy to give you one. For more information visit: ShiraAdler.com, read her blog at Diva-Mama.com; Social: Twitter (1DivaMama), Facebook (DivaMama1), Tumblr (not really sure, but the name is cute) and LinkedIn (because doesn’t everyone?).

Support MamaBlogger365 and help the Museum of Motherhood secure a permanent home in 2011! Your tax-deductible donation in ANY amount will help us make our September POP-UP exhibit in NYC a permanent reality - visit our Members page to learn more.

No comments:

Post a Comment