Friday, November 25, 2011

MamaBlogger365 - On Giving Thanks by Lowry Manders

Thanksgiving is such a great time to SLOW down and enjoy some time re-connecting with your kids and family. Here are few ideas from my family to yours:

Encouraging an Attitude of Gratitude

1. "What Are You Thankful For?" I'll never forget my first fall teaching music to young children years ago. I led some little ones in a this simple song: "What are you thankful for? What are you thankful for? I'm thankful for _________, that's what I'm thankful for." We sang everyone's answers in the song. We also drew pictures of our answers. There were the sweet predictable answers like "my family", "my house", "my dog Molly", "my baby Jackson", "cookies", "my toys". Then there was little Trebor ("Robert" backwards) who said with his little gravelly 3-year-old voice, "I'm thankful for ware wolves." And he handed his mommy a nice picture of a family of ware wolves when she picked him up. When I sang the sang the same song with my kids at breakfast the other morning, Ellie genuinely answered (with no prompting), "I'm thankful for Brother." And grinning sweetly, MJ said, "I'm thankful for Ellie." Ahhhhhh! Alas, for me, the song will forevermore replay each Thanksgiving in my head, not with the voices of my children, but remembering little Trebor: "I'm thankful for ware wolves, that's what I'm thankful. for."

Click here to read more!

Support MamaBlogger365 and help the Museum of Motherhood secure a permanent home in 2011! Your tax-deductible donation in ANY amount will help us make our autumn POP-UP exhibit in NYC a permanent reality - visit our Members page to learn more.

Visit the Museum of Motherhood
NOW OPEN in NYC! Tues-Sun, 10:45-6:30



No comments:

Post a Comment