Friday, February 3, 2012

MamaBlogger365 - Give Sorrow Words by Patti Ashley, Ph.D.

February 4th will mark the 42nd anniversary of my father's death. Every year on that day, I remember the morning I awoke to the excitement of a rare event in Virginia Beach, Virginia -- snow, and then I heard the sound of my mother's voice saying "Patti, put your robe on and come downstairs."

I remember sitting at the kitchen table a short while later and being told to eat a piece of toast. I can still see that piece of toast on the plate and feel the lump in my throat that was refusing to allow the bread to pass through it. I went back to school within a week, and I recall a daze that fell over me, as I walked into a familiar setting feeling completely out of place.

I continued on with my life as I was told to do, somewhat removed from the "normal" adolescent dramas of playground fights and lost lunch money. My life seemed very different from my peers'. I wondered often why no one would talk to me about this loss. What is it really like to lose a father at the age of eleven and how does a child cope with that type of grief?

Click here to read more!


The Museum Of Motherhood is the first and only facility of its kind, celebrating the “her”story of mothers around the world. We need your help -- please make your tax-deductible contribution today!Visit the Museum of Motherhood, NOW OPEN in NYC - Tues.-Sun., 10:45-6:30.

Photo credit: dorne | MorgueFile

No comments:

Post a Comment